How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2166
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I chose this house with my husband and our realtor BUT we

Customer Question

I chose this house with my husband and our realtor BUT we were not married until the next year ,the reason for that was because I was in bankrucy with first husband and realtor said it wouldn't look good and we might not get the house,if I can't get the house can I get him to buy me out on my half to get a home for me??i worked after I married him and helped him a lot with payments ,also I had a thrift store and when he retired I had to close my store and have all my things in this house makes my house super cluttered with boxes and all these things were mine before I even got with this man...we've been married since I entiled to anything? This man is very abusive to me not physically but with his big mouth. I'm 60 yrs now he's 75. And just getting worst. I need some help badly .i feel so hopeless.Thank' You
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, Texas law is pretty clear that property one owns before the marriage is only that person's property. However, I still think you have a strong basis to seek spousal support and repayment of the money you put towards the home. You are entitled to some of his income that he earned during the marriage, any savings or retirement accounts. I strongly suggest you meet with a family law attorney who can walk you through the steps.