I chose this house with my husband and our realtor BUT we…

Customer Question
I chose this house with...
I chose this house with my husband and our realtor BUT we were not married until the next year ,the reason for that was because I was in bankrucy with first husband and realtor said it wouldn't look good and we might not get the house,if I can't get the house can I get him to buy me out on my half to get a home for me??i worked after I married him and helped him a lot with payments ,also I had a thrift store and when he retired I had to close my store and have all my things in this house makes my house super cluttered with boxes and all these things were mine before I even got with this man...we've been married since 2004.am I entiled to anything? This man is very abusive to me not physically but with his big mouth. I'm 60 yrs now he's 75. And just getting worst. I need some help badly .i feel so hopeless.Thank' You
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
1/25/2016
Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, Texas law is pretty clear that property one owns before the marriage is only that person's property. However, I still think you have a strong basis to seek spousal support and repayment of the money you put towards the home. You are entitled to some of his income that he earned during the marriage, any savings or retirement accounts. I strongly suggest you meet with a family law attorney who can walk you through the steps.