How do judgement property liens last in Colorado?

Customer Question
How long do judgement property...
How long do judgement property liens last in Colorado?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
1/24/2016
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

A judgment in Colorado is effective until the statute of limitations expires. For judgments from the District level, it takes 20 years. For judgments from the County level, it takes 6 years.

Colorado offers the option to renew judgments (every 20 years for a District level and every 6 for a County level).

.

So it depends on which court the judgment was obtained in as to how long it lasts.

.

.

thanks

Thanks for the reply, the judgement was in district court, so does that mean the lien last for 20 years or the other party can renew the lien in 20 years for an additional 20 years?

Yes, that means that the initial term is 20 years, but they can renew it for another 20 years prior to the first term expiring.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney