Someone at a veteritarian clinic made an agreement with me…

Customer Question
Someone at a veteritarian clinic...
Someone at a veteritarian clinic made an agreement with me to hold a kitten and told me if anyone was interested in this kitten who is the sibling brother to the kitten I adopted, then six days later the kitten was given to someone else. I believe that the agreement we both made was broken.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
1/24/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am very sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me if the agreement was in writing, or simply verbal? Is there proof of the subject of the agreement if verbal, such as email, or text messages?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

You have not replied to my information request, but I am going to assume that from your original fact pattern, the promise was verbal.
If the promise was verbal, then it would be very hard to prove. They can simply deny that they ever made this promise. In addition, it was not binding because you did not pay anything for the agreement for them to hold the other kitten, called "consideration" in contract doctrine and generally required for a binding contract.
As such, I am afraid that there is little action that may be taken against the clinic. I am sorry.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Hello again. I am checking in because you have not rated positively. To me this means you may have another question. Please let me know – I am simply touching base. Thanks!