I am a computer graphic designer working from myself. I

Customer Question
Hi. I am a computer...
Hi. I am a computer graphic designer working from myself. I design for the most part brochures for gala/fundraising dinners where local business put an ad and donate money. The brichure design is mine and i incorporate the various businesses ligos into an ad i design for them.
Over the years i do repeat businesses for the same organisations which allows me to reuse ad pages from previous years. Not having to redesign a page allows me to give a better price. One of my clients just informed me they want to use someone else and asked me to email them the design of last years book electronicly so that the new designer can use my ads. Aren't these designs mine? Its one thing for me to lose the vlient, but do i have to give them my designs on a plate so they save all the time doing actual design by themselves?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
1/23/2016
Lawyer: MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer

Hello. I am going to be assisting you with your question today.

Please note: This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You are not legally obligated to provide the designs to the new designer. You would be doing it as a favor to your client if you did do it. The decision is entirely yours.

I hope I have answered your questions. If I have not, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Also, please do not forget to rate my response at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

Thank you. But you are not writing WHY i do not need to give over the designs. You are not writing who is the owner etc. (Legal wording etc)

The designs are yours. They belong to you as your work product. You are not obligated to produce your work product to another designer.

If you don't already have language to that effect in your contracts with your clients, you should add it in so that they are aware from the outset that you retain all rights to anything you design/create.

But they tell me, hey we paid you for your work and for printing the brochures, it belongs to us....what do i answer?

They paid you for your time/services to create the brochures. You own the design though as that is your work product.