Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My friends and I are being defamed by a facebook stalker.

Customer Question
She made a group that...
My friends and I are being defamed by a facebook stalker. She made a group that is to stop cyberbullying. It is a group that she posts altered screenshots of private message conversations with the person's full FB name. She then says the person is a bully and asks others to report them to FB and to message them to get them to stop. She has mulitple profiles so if you block one another appears. She adds people to her group without permission and re-adds them when they leave. She also will constantly message you if you leave. How do we get her to stop using our names and calling us bullies. None of us initiate conversation with her. We block and ignore her. This has continued for a year now.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
1/23/2016
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Unfortunately, if Facebook isn't handling it then the only option you have is to go through the courts and ask for the court to issue an injunction against her. An injunction can be used to either make someone do something (ex. sign a document) or to make them stop doing something (ex. calling you).

You can file in either state or federal court, depending on the specific facts, and you will definitely want to hire an attorney to assist you since injunctions are extremely complicated.

The steps to an injunction are:

1) An Application for TRO (Temporary Restraining Order) is filed along with supporting evidence such as affidavits. Usually the Application for Injunction is made at the same time. The TRO is a temporary measure and is not absolutely required before you get an injunction.
2) An Ex Parte (without the other side present) Hearing is conducted and the judge either issues the TRO or denies it. If the TRO is issued the judge orders a bond set in a sufficient amount to compensate the other side for any damages accumulated while the TRO is in place if the applicant fails to prove their right to an injunction.
3) A hearing on the TRO is set.
4) The TRO and notice of Hearing is served on the defendant.
5) The defendant should immediately begin following the judge's orders.
6) The TRO hearing is held and each side has an opportunity to present evidence and question witnesses.
7) The judge makes the decision on whether to convert the TRO to a Temporary Injunction or not.
8) If the TRO is converted to a Temporary Injunction then the judge sets a new bond to be in place.
9) Discovery is conducted by both sides.
10) A request for hearing date is made on the matter of converting the Temporary Injunction into a Permanent Injunction.
11) The hearing/trial is held on the Permanent Injunction and the judge issues a ruling.

These are what are known as extraordinary remedies and the procedural rules for these as well as the case law are EXTREMELY specific and difficult. If ANY mistakes are made the judge has no choice but to deny the relief and will not likely reconsider it in the future.

Just as an example, getting injunctive relief, both temporary and permanent, requires that evidence be offered of:
1) An immediate need,
2) Which, if not granted, will result in irreparable harm,
3) With no adequate remedy at law, and
4) (on temporary order) The person requesting the injunction is likely to succeed at a full trial on the merits.

If evidence is not offered to meet these four requirements, in a manner that the judge knows this is what the evidence shows, then the petition will be denied.

There are more requirements than this depending on the exact facts of the case but it is very, very easy to mess up one of these and end up having to pay damages to the other side just because your paperwork wasn't done properly.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney