Can you tell me how to do a voluntary surrender on a piece…

Customer Question
Can you tell me...

Can you tell me how to do a voluntary surrender on a piece of jewelry?

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I'm trying to help my son. He is in a bad situation. He got engaged and the relationship didn't work out. He subsequently lost his job and cannot make the payments. its is past the return date.

Lawyer's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
1/23/2016
Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Your son can try to return the jewelry to the creditor, and it should accept it back......but if the value has decreased, he may be liable to pay the difference back to the creditor (called a deficiency judgment).

Im not satisfied with your answer. I want to know how to do a voluntary surrender

That is how you'd voluntarily surrender any personal property -- you take the collateral to the creditor and turn it over to them.