MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

Guarantor of license student
, Every year or semester,

Customer Question

Customer: Guarantor of license for college student
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Every year or semester, a college housing firm requires that a new license be signed and it include a guarantor. I signed a 2014-2015 agreement which was paid in full. I then signed a Fall 2015 license, which was paid in full. My son signed the spring 2016 packet, but I did not. He is not going back to the college and they say I am liable. I made the payment for January, but he never he moved in. It is not notarized, initialed by him and has errors in the license term. One sections ays Spring, one section says Fall
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am going to be assisting you with your question today.

Please note: This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

If the document is not properly executed, then it is invalid. You can challenge the validity of the agreement based on the facts you provided.

I hope I have answered your questions. If I have not, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Also, please do not forget to rate my response at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you recommend that I send them a letter stating that the contract is invalid because it was not properly executed or should I have an attorney review the contracts and send the letter? Or should I just wait and see if they initiate anything or turn me over to collection before replying? We turned in the keys and told them in person we had vacated the room. I felt paying an extra month on the fall contract was required as we did not remove his belongings until 1/20/16 and the contract I signed expired 12/31/15.

Yes. You should consider sending the letter (at a minimum) if you don't want to have an attorney review the contracts and send the letter. Usually, an attorney sending the letter has more clout.