How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1438
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Legal Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Whom do I contact to find out what to do? I live in a

Customer Question

whom do I contact to find out what to do? I live in a nonsmoking apartment. The couple above me smoke (usually right outside of the door) next to where our heaters/air conditioners are? She refuses to move away from the apartment because "she has a baby".
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 year ago.

You should send a letter to the tenant, and notify the management or owner of the smoking and the vent issue. The tenant smoking in the non smoking building breaches the warranty of habitability you are guaranteed by the landlord. You can start an action for nuisance and breach of warranty of habitability against both the landlord and tenant in civil court. Also, call and file a complaint with your city/jurisdictions code enforcement to log a complaint and to get a record established.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
According to the tenants she can smoke out of her door all she wants. After speaking with the landlord she stated they have to be further than 10-12 feet away from the building. He told her they were and that he measured it. It could only be possible if he measured up the wall of the building. Do you know is this true in CA?
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 year ago.

I don't know in California if that is the law

Related Legal Questions