If my ex is on my car title as the main person and I am the…

Customer Question
If my ex is on...
If my ex is on my car title as the main person and I am the secondary but I paid the car off what can I do to get them off the title so that I can be the only one on the title
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me if your ex agrees to this change? Or not?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

They do not agree
What else can I do?

Thank you.

On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize. Thanks in advance for not "shooting the messenger."

I am afraid that there is no way to force them off without going to Court. However, someone in your situation can file for what is known as a PARTITION in Court, asking the Court to decide what to do with a titled asset when the owners cannot agree. If so, the Court decides that it should be sold and proceeds split, or, one party should buy the other out in lump sum or payments, or whatever else the Judge feels is equitable.

Perhaps the threat of doing this (litigation is time consuming and expensive) would be enough to have him agree to something that is amicable for both.

Good luck.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Hello again. I am checking in because you have not rated positively. To me this means you may have another question. Please let me know – I am simply touching base. Thanks!