I am looking help with an issue I have with a Walgreens

Customer Question
Hi my name is***** am...
Hi my name is***** am looking for some help with an issue I have with a Walgreens employee who its also my estranged sister in law looking through my prescription profile and telling other family members of hers what I take. I have never filled my prescription at the Walgreens where she works so there's no reason she should be accessing my information. Is there anything I can do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
1/22/2016
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

You can report her to Walgreens, of course, since what she is doing is a violation of your rights under HIPAA.

You can also file a complaint with your state's licensing agency for pharmacies, with the Attorney General, and with the Department of Health and Human Services, all of which are charged with the responsibility for pursuing violations of HIPAA.

Most people in similar situations also ask f they can file a lawsuit and, unfortunately, HIPAA does not allow for private lawsuit for violations of its provisions so reporting the matter to the entities I describe is the only real method of pursuing her.