Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I live in Kenner Louisiana/can you please help me with 1

Customer Question
question? I am in need...
I live in Kenner Louisiana/can you please help me with 1 question? I am in need of flooring repair work a neighbor who owns rental properties recommended a floor installer however problem is he has no insurance /my neighbor said all she does is have him sign a paper that she will not be responsible for any injuries he may incur on jobsite/is this paper a binding contract that would protect me/or is this a worthless piece of paper/my neighbor said he has been doing work in her rental properties for years and does beautiful work however insurance is too high/I just want to protect myself/please advise if you can/thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
1/22/2016
Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

It is possible that you could protect yourself IF you get the flooring contractor to sign a contract that says he's an independent contractor and that he is solely responsible for his employees while working on the job....and that he agrees to indemnify you and hold you harmless for any problems, injuries, claims, etc. that arise during the course of his work on your property.

Other than requiring the contractor to have a bond or liability insurance, that's about the best protection you can get from liability if someone is injured on your property during the course of this work.

If you need anything further, please let me know. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks.

Roger, Attorney