How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33436
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1. Charged out of state tuition when I've lived here all of

Customer Question

1. Charged out of state tuition when I've lived here all of my life and was told that they would fix it for future but cannot give me back the money from being charged out of state tuition. Did not find out for a couple of years back in school, so was charged this from 2010 to 2012. Is there really no way of getting that money back if they are at fault?
2. I transferred to collin college higher education in mckinney from collin college in frisco to attend texas a&m for teaching degree; did this so I wouldn't have to drive all the way to east texas to go to school but I noticed while researching all of my financial aide stuff again that I'm having to pay dues to the Texas a&m east texas campus and I do not even go to that campus. Is this normal?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

I can answer your first question but don't have a definitive answer to your second one. I have an idea as to what is happening based on past experience but I don't know for sure that it is what is happening in your case. Would that be sufficient?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure, thank you.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

As far as your first question you can sue back to two years to recover your money, possibly four years depending on the causes of action that are used. This is due to the statute of limitations. However, there is an exception to this known as the "discovery rule" which means if you didn't discover the problem (and couldn't have with reasonable diligence) then the statute of limitations doesn't start running until you did discover it. You would want to meet with a local lawyer and go over this in detail to see if that exception applies to you. Even if it doesn't you may still be able to recover for at least the last little bit since it may not have been quite 4 years yet.

As to your second question, the Texas A and M system operates a number of different campuses as you know. Some of these are considered separate institutions and set up for their own billing while others are considered "branches" of another campus. At one time the campus at Galveston was being billed through the main campus at College Station and the students were paying for amenities at the main campus even though they were actually a hundred miles away. That is the most likely reason for your situation. The second most likely reason is that they just made a mistake.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What type of attorney would I need for this?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Look for one who does Civil Litigation or Civil trial Law. You should be able to find one in your local telephone book or by going to and entering those types into the box for Area of Practice.

Most attorneys won't charge you much, if anything, for the initial appointment and to discuss the case.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome.

Best wishes to you and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.