How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2156
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a contractor working month by month. last 3 months we

Customer Question

I have a contractor working for me month by month. For the last 3 months we have been renewing the contract monthly. We agreed (verbally) to start the of a new contract and raise in pay that was to begin the following Friday for 1 month. In characteristically of her, she didn't as usual print out new contract with the new dates immediately to have it signed. Two weeks went by without her saying anything until last night. I trusted her which in hindsight that was dumb on my part and I just signed the contract. I looked back at the contract and she changed the dates of our agreement to reflect my agreeing to paying her at a particular price for six weeks instead of our agreed upon four. Am I liable now to pay her for 6 weeks?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Since she has a signed agreement it would be hard to overcome it. In Texas, you can invalidate a contract if you can prove fraud or that you were under some sort of duress. Saying I did not read it is not a defense unfortunately.

the only other possible argument would be that she changed the terms of your oral agreement. It isn't a strong argument but a nice judge might consider it.

You need to decide if this is something you want to pursue in court and weight that cost vs the 2 extra weeks of pay on this and then ensure the next contract is exactly as you guys agreed. The other option is to just pressure her to modify the contract to reflect what you guys had orally agreed to and just amend it.