My husband and s brother were riding motorcycles together.

Customer Question
My husband and his brother...
My husband and his brother were riding motorcycles together. Both licenced and insured. My husband dropped the bike around a turn. The bike has been since transferred to his brothers now ex girlfriend and she is looking for money for repairs. This happened 3 months ago. No insurance claimed, no repairs made, and no invoices of possible cost to repair. Shes asking for 1000. What do we do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/21/2016
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Good afternoon. Why was the bike given to her? Was the bike originally your husbands? Why does she want $1000 now if the bike was given to her as a gift?

Hi, are you still with me?

Sorry! Site was down and I wasn't able to log back in. The bike was originally my husbands brothers. It was bought for him by his girlfriend. They broke up, not sure why he signed over the title but the bike is no longer his.
She wants 1000 for the prior accident and estimated cost of repairs. (Her estimate).

Thank you for the additional information. If the bike was a gift, given to his brother, by his girlfriend, then it would be his to do what he wants, with it. As such, if he lent it to his brother/ your husband and he got into an accident and did not ask him for money or repairs or for anything, it would be at his discretion, since he owned the bike. She gave it to him as a gift and it was at his discretion, as to how to handle this. Now, if he broke up with her and he signed the back over to her and gave it back, that does not mean she can not go after your husband, to pay for the damages. She would likely have to take the bike as is, since it was given back to her.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

LegalKnowledge, Attorney