My car caught fire a few minutes after Firestone fixed a…

Customer Question
My car caught fire a...
My car caught fire a few minutes after Firestone fixed a power steering pump. Just before the fire started, the steering became very stiff very suddenly. I did get compensated by insurance, but a new car cost a lot more, and I believe my life was at danger during the car fire. Can I sue firestone?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
1/21/2016
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Certainly you can sue them but anyone can sue anyone for anything.

The key question is "can you win"?

To win a case like this you are going to have to have some kind of expert that will testify the work Firestone did on the power steering pump (or something else they did) cause the fire.

You can't sue for damages due to what "almost happened" but you can sue if you still have mental issues due to being in a car that was on fire. That is essentially what post traumatic stress disorder is about.

In a case like yours what you want to make sure happens is that the expert has a chance to inspect the vehicle, take notes and pictures, etc. before the insurance company repairs it, destroys it, or sells it and it is lost.

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread.

The fact that the car burned down eventually required me to buy a car, which added unexpected financial burdens. I was planning to keep the car for longer. The insurance pay out came to only $8000. I usually buy a new car, and drive it for around 15 years, and I did go out and buy a new car. This is an expense that I wouldnt have made if Firestone had done a proper repair.If I can prove Firestone was at fault, would I be eligible for more than the cost of the burned out car is my question.Thanks,
Vinod

Yes, you would be eligible for any damages you can prove. That includes mental anguish, the reasonable market value of the vehicle (as opposed to what the insurance company paid), loss of use of the vehicle, etc.