How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a consulting firm in the oil gas field. We would like

Customer Question

I own a consulting firm in the oil gas field. We would like to start providing online training and seminars at a location. Can we provide a certificate that the people passed our training?
Do we need to meet any qualification(besides experience) to provide the certification?
And can we charge for the certification?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of experience handling matters of a similar nature for clients. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

The answer to all three questions is, yes. That said, let's discuss for a moment why the answer is yes and what you can do to assure that there is credibility behind the certificate.

You can provide a certificate or completion/passing for successful completion of your class. It is always best that you either have this class certified by a respected licensing body in your field. That is not absolutely necessary, but it certainly helps. I would also urge you to send the curriculum out before the class, make sure the curriculum is the same, is standardized and meets applicable industry standards as well. You will want the author of the curriculum to have credentials as well.

I think you do need to have proper qualifications to teach a class and present certificates. This can be engineering degrees, state or federal licenses, association recognition, etc. You need something that is universally recognized as making you an expert in what you are teaching...otherwise, you will be discredited and the certificate you issue will not have the credibility necessary to make it worth the effort and expense of the certificates. Is there a law that mandates, these However, from a business and credibility sense, you need these things.

You can charge for the certification. Again, you need to have the weight of credibility behind the cert or people will not be interested. This can again be recognition within the industry by licensing bodies or trade associations...but there needs to be something there. Once that is in place, you have credibility and legitimacy and can charge therefore. This is more business-centric than legal.

Let me know if you have any other questions...I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward.

Please also rate my answer positively as well (three or more stars).

Best wishes going forward!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you have any additional questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks!