How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3914
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am buying a car in a different state, but the owner of the

Customer Question

I am buying a car in a different state, but the owner of the vehicle has a lien on it. How do I go about buying the car from him if I pay the lien of, it takes him 7-10 days to get the title still in his name. How do I trust him? Is there something I can have him sign, when the title comes in, he has to give me the title?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

The way to do this is to get on the phone with the lien holder and the seller (together so the lien holder can talk to you). You find out the payoff amount for the lien and where to send that payoff amount. You then write two checks. One to the lien holder and one to the seller for the difference between the lien amount and the sale price.

The seller will give you the car and the title with the lien holder indicated or the pink slip (which ever his state uses). It would be better if you can go there and do the transaction in person. That way you are certain everything is done properly.

The lien holder will send you the lien release and then you can retitle the care in your state.

Make sure you do a bill of sale agreement as well.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do we get the title with the Lein Holder on the title? Is that something the bank will give us?
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Some states have two part titles, other states do "pink slips." Other states will have the Title with the lien holder listed on it and then the lender sends a release.

In Florida the DMV maintains an electronic record of the lien. Once the lien is released they will issue a New clear title automatically.

The EASIEST way to do this is to work with a Title Transfer Company in Florida. They will do all the paperwork and make sure that the new title gets released to you. Thet will also have temporary title and plates. That way you do not have to rely on the seller to follow through.

This link provides detailed information on how to transfer the Florida title:

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Good luck.

Kind regards,


(Please do not forget to rate me - Click the 5 stars. It adds nothing to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)