How can I apply pre check?

Customer Question
how can I apply for...
how can I apply for a pre check for travel?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
1/21/2016
Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** will be assisting you. Please view this as a casual conversation. We will chat back and forth until I have all of the necessary information I need to give you a thorough answer.

Once you have received your answer, you will be asked to rate my customer service. This is very important. I do not get a salary here. Your rating is the only way I get credit for doing my job. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal TSA Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

ANSWER: There are a few programs that can make one eligible for TSA PreCheck expedited screening. I will start with TSA PreCheck Program itself, and then explain other options that might be available.

TSA PreCheck Participation

To get into the TSA PreCheck program one should apply for the program in person, at an Application Center. Here is a link to find the nearest enrollment center: https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/locator. If you cannot make it to one of these application centers, then you should stick with the other options, described below.

You can pre-apply before the appointment so that your application is ready to go when you arrive. Information on TSA Pre-Applications can be found here: http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/application-program.

The process for Pre-Application can be found here: https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/.

And the application can be found here: http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/apply.

Other Trusted Traveler Programs

Here is information on the other Trusted Traveler programs: http://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-programs.

Global Online Enrollment System is the best pace to start: https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes. You should get a Trusted Traveler number through one of those programs.

Create a new profile. This process will screen your background and allow individuals who pass the screening to obtain a Trusted Traveler number. Once you have the Trusted Traveler number, when you are making reservations with a participating airline and through a participating airport, there will be a space or option in your booking process that will say or ask for a "Known Traveler Number" or "KTN." This is where you include the Trusted Traveler number. This process will put the number on your boarding pass and allow you to use the expedited screening lane, if you are chosen for PreCheck.

It should be noted that a Trusted Traveler or TSA PreCheck enrollee is not always guaranteed expedited service. Only when it is indicated on the boarding pass will you be eligible for TSA PreCheck. This is because the TSA randomizes which travelers are granted PreCheck access on any given trip, for security reasons. So you can be offered PreCheck for one trip, but not necessarily another. Again, this randomization is for security reasons. You can find this information here, under "Other Ways to Experience TSA PreCheck": http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/participation-tsa-precheck%C2%AE.

Finally - this is fairly rare - if PreCheck is not a option and you are elderly or require additional assistance to travel due to medical conditions or a disability, you can get assistance at the airport by using a program called TSA Cares.

If you call TSA Cares at least 72 hours before the flight, you can get assistance getting through the lines quicker, due to age or medical condition/disability: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/travelers-disabilities-and-medical-conditions

Here is the number that you can call to contact TSA Cares for assistance. 1 - 855 - 787 - 2227.

The hours of operation for the TSA Cares help line are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. – 11 p.m. EST and weekends and Holidays 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. EST.

If I have answered your questions, please remember to give my customer service a positive rating. To do that, click on 3 or more stars, or any of the happy faces. I do not get a salary, so this is very important so that I get credit for helping you. I depend on your honesty and good faith to rate my customer service positively. Again, this is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you.

If you have additional questions, you can still ask them even after you have given me a positive rating.

REMINDER: You are rating my customer service, not the outcome. Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be sure to help you.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.