I sign on Gardian home alarm system in 2013 for $45 a month…

Customer Question
I sign on Gardian home...
I sign on Gardian home alarm system in 2013 for $45 a month basic service. At the time we agreed to a two year contract. I call them up trying to cancel the service because I have no use of the alarm service. Guardian rep said my contract is till 2025 and have to pay a large sum of termination fee. I felt like I have been defrauted. No general service contract have this ridiculous terms. How can I get out this contract? Or where can I get the help?
Conrad Chen
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
1/21/2016
Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The best place to start is with your state's consumer fraud division of the attorney general's office. Here's a link the site: https://oag.ca.gov/contact/consumer-complaint-against-business-or-company

You could also attempt to sue the other party for creating an unconscionable contract and try to have it revoked that way, but it would be an expensive proposition.....so starting with the AG's office would certainly be the best place to begin.

To file a sue will be in which court?

You'd likely be in superior court given that the amount remaining due on 9 years left on the contract likely exceeds the small claims limit.

What is the general cost to file the sue and go through the process?

There's really no general cost....it really depends on how much the opposing party wants to fight. So, you could spent $1000 or $15,000.....depending on how much fighting is involved.