I had a NY state gher education loan from a local bank for…

Customer Question
I had a NY state...
I had a NY state higher education loan from a local bank for $1500. which was delinquent and never paid. The loan was initiated about 1971. When I left college I fell on hard times and moved around a lot. Now that I am collecting Social Security The Department of the treasury wants to garnish my Social Sec. payments up to 15% to pay off a $8573. balance ( I guess with accrued interest) What legal rights do I have to settle for less. And is there a statute of limitations for this?
Carl
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/20/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Do you know if they actually sued and received a judgment, or not sure?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

I never received any law suit. So I assume there was no judgement

Thank you.

For your rights at debt cancellation, discharge, and forgiveness, see HERE.

Because this is a government backed loan, it has no statute of limitations. This means the debt may be enforced even now. However, the interest rate is calculated at the amount the contract mentions, or if it is silent on this, then 9% at most, from the beginning of the default. See CPLR 5001 et seq.

Unfortunately, Social Security money is subject to garnishment if the debt is the government.

I am afraid that there is really very little wiggle room here. Negotiations are always possible, however, if they know that they can dip into your SSA money, then they may be not willing to negotiate as much unless you pay everything up front, for example.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Ely, Counselor at Law