How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29985
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The state of is claiming that it has lost DNA evidence that

Customer Question

The state of Washington is claiming that it has lost DNA evidence that can show my innocence. I served approximately 7 years on "death row" and I was incarcerated for 49 years and 5 months totally. The injustice that I suffered is beyond words. I have a writ of habeas corpus pending before the 9th Cir. Court, which have been setting there since November 2013 waiting to be heard. I requested an en banc hearing after the three judge panel denied my petition.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Experts here are unfortunately not able to take on customers as clients, and it sounds like what you need right now is a lawyer who can stand up and make the courts hear your case. You may want to try contacting the Innocence Project to see if they can refer you to a lawyer in Washington state.

Alternatively, you can contact the ACLU or the Public Defender's Office in the county where you were convicted. Public defenders also do appellate work, and they may be able to help. But the ACLU could also be interested in someone wrongfully imprisoned because the state lost their evidence. You may be able to get one of them to file a motion for you. That is probably a faster way to get someone to listen. A lawyer can also call the clerk of the Ninth Circuit Court to find out what the hold-up is.