I took 2 rings into the naval base to get sized.

Customer Question
Hello I took 2 rings...
Hello I took 2 rings into the naval base to get sized. Unfortunately the base here has to send their jewelry off to a contracted company to do repairs. They advised me before they sent them it may take a little longer because of the holiday's. One of the rings I have had for 2yrs. I got this ring for my 25th wedding anniversary. The cost of the ring was $4200 est value per the documents I received from the base upon perches was $6500. The other ring my spouse had just purchase as a Christmas/ anniversary gift for 2015. So they sent my rings off to be sized 3wks later I called to check on them. The base jewelry associate advised me that she would call and check and call me back. When she returned my call she advised me that one of my rings would be back in two days and the other one the one I got two years ago they were waiting for my diamonds to come in. Now at this point I literally lost it, because my ring was sent to be size only and had a diamond fell out and been lost they should've contacted the base and then me. The associated had the superior to contact me she advised me that she called them they could explain to her what happen and they got my ring back to me in two days. I had my ring apprised and the supervisor agreed to pay for the appraisal. She also advised me if their were any differences from my orignal appraisal paper work she'd order me another ring. Unfortunately, their were several things different in my ring. The weight of some of my stones, clarity, grade, also the appraisal value. The manager advised me to meet with her when she returns from a family emergency. Now in the mean time another supervisor followed up with me. She stated the company sent me a $50 gift card. I told her I didn't want it. She asked what was it I wanted I told her I have yet to decide, and that I will talk with Crystal (the original supervior whom I was working with) returns. Please help any advise would be appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
1/20/2016
Lawyer: Delta-Lawyer, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of litigation experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

First off, I am sorry that you are having to deal with this trouble on what should have been a seamless issue. You have the legal right to specific performance (basically means having your ring back in the exact condition it was when you dropped it off, plus any fixes that were requested). You also have the legal right to make the ring as close to the original appraisal and quality as when you dropped it off. In addition to that, you have the right to damages for loss of enjoyment as well as mental anguish.

You need to place them on legal notice of your demands (you can use the information above) via a certified letter with a return receipt. This letter will bode well for you if you have to litigate later because it will show the court you have tried to resolve this without court intervention.

If they do not meet your demands in a timely manner (like 10 business days), then you can and probably should look at filing suit. The most you can ask for in Small Claims in Virginia is $5,000. That may be able to handle the situation though.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my work.

Best wishes going forward!