Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
8370490

I am a 85 year old man on a fixed income i have no assetts

Customer Question

i am a 85 year old man on a fixed income i have no assetts my 3 children i havnt seen in 5 yrars thet have nothing to do with me can they put me in jail for not payi owe 70,000 in credit card i have a -fib and copd
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 1 year ago.

Hello JACUSTOMER,

You can not be put in jail for failure to pay credit card debt. The worst that can happen to you is that the credit card company will get a civil judgment against you. With this civil judgment, the credit card company could try to enforce it by potentially attaching some of your fixed income resources, or seizing other assets you may have. But there is no possibility of any criminal penalties or jail.

I hope this answers your question.

Thomas