Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

My mother's son is on s death bed in Hosp. s wife will not

Customer Question

Good morning. My mother's son is on his death bed in Hosp. His wife will not let our mother visit him. My brother's wife has never really cared for My mother. His wife has alway's thought my mother was a week person and she can't stand this. My mother need's to see her son. My mother is 83 and this has just about put her in the Hosp. What can be done. In need of help, Jane.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Have you attempted to involve the hospital social worker, a trusted friend or clergyman?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Also, is her son concious? Can he make his own wishes known?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is conscious but he will never go against what his wife say's. I plan to contact the Hosp. social service at*****time. As for friend's or clergy they know us are talked to us she will not talk or listen to them.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, unless the husband makes his wishes known, going against his wife, the hospital will do what the wife says. The courts will not contradict a patient's spouse's wishes if the patient is not the one doing the contradicting.

That is why you will need to go through the hospital social worker to try to mediate this since it is more of a relationship than legal problem and courts will not, generally, provide a remedy for that type of dispute. In other words, there is no legal obligation that a spouse allow their mother in law into a hospital room to visit their child.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.