How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19624
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother was murdered last year, he divorced with

Customer Question

My brother was murdered last year, he divorced with 3children, my family sold his car to pay for some of the expenses for funeral, but his ex wife change title of car under her name weks after his passing, now the person we sold the far to cannot register car under the mee name..what can i do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My deepest sympathies for your loss.

Could you explain a little more?

On what basis did she change the car title to her name?

How was she able to change the title after your brother's passing without the consent of the Executor of your brother's estate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She took a copy of a probate document according to the DMV..he was divorced at the time and the car was under his custody, obviously my brother did not leave a will or any sort of testament, he was living with my parents at the time and was unemployed as a result of all the oil field worker cuts, he was 37 yrs old.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information.

You (the Executor of the Estate) need to send a demand letter to the ex-wife to relinquish title to the car, to transfer the title to the person who bought the car. If she refuses, then you would need to file lawsuit (file complaint with the probate court if you have probate case open for your brother's estate) asking the Court to order her to transfer title to the buyer.

You may also file complaint with the District Attorney's office against her for fraud.