Is there a time limit within which a lawyer plaintiffs must…

Customer Question
Is there a time limit...
Is there a time limit within which a lawyer for the plaintiffs must bring a civil case to trial, or for the trial to begin? It has been over 3 years now since the case was filed and I have not yet been asked by Plaintiff's attorney to even answer any discovery questions.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
1/19/2016
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Is there a time limit within which a lawyer for the plaintiffs must bring a civil case to trial, or for the trial to begin?

.

Unfortunately no, there is no set time limit for a case to be heard once it has been filed. If a case has sat idle for a long period of time, typically over a year, with nothing happening, then the defendant can file a "motion to dismiss based on failure to prosecute" and the judge can then dismiss the case if the other side doesn't respond with some reasonable reason for the delay and take steps to move the case forward.

.

The court doesn't like to have cases simply sit idle on the docket and if it has been 3 years without any action, you may find that the clerks have done an administrative dismissal due to the inaction if you contacted the clerks and asked about it.

.

.

thanks

Your response was excellent. It covered a large amount of ground in a short and quick response. I have further very specific questions. Can you help me with these also? Craig Lautenschlager DVM

I am pretty well versed in the law, so I would do my best or try to get you to another attorney on the site who could help.

.

However, I am somewhat limited to providing legal information and options, but I can't direct you as to what to do in your specific case since that would be crossing over the line into legal representation...

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks much