How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney2 Your Own Question
Attorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7203
Experience:  29 Years In General Practice,
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Attorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-wife has embezzled a business from me that is still

Customer Question

My ex-wife has embezzled a business from me that is still legally half mine. I meet the ADA requirements for disability. Should I pursue this angle in the legal fight coming?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. Just to clarify are you asking if should pursue the embezzlement as a criminal matter? Are you trying to link your disability to the embezzlement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel that having the threat of pursuing the case in a criminal manner will be a chess move that I keep in reserve, I'm thinking along the lines of will the ADA statutes make my case even stronger than it already is?
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Theft would be pursued as a criminal matter in Texas. Do you feel that your disability made it easier for her to take advantage of the situation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

The issue is that the act was created to stop discrimination and create equal rights and rights to access. It really doesn't deal with abuse. That being said I would certainly argue that as a more vulnerable person she took advantage of your disability to perpetuate abuse and theft of your assets. Elder abuse is a special category of financial abuse and if the handicap involved diminished capacity this would certainly elevate the crime. We are a general information site pursuant to the terms of service of the site I am not permitted to provide legal advice. Hopefully I can provide information to head you in the right direction. Where in Texas are you located so I can provide you with a link for local attorneys that provide free consultations that can assist.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

I wanted to follow up with you since I have not heard back from you. Please let me know how if you have additional questions for me.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any additional questions for me?