How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29996
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son and s girlfriend are planning to buy a house in New

Customer Question

My son and his girlfriend are planning to buy a house in New Jersey for approximately $ 500,000. They asked me and my wife to lend them $100,000 for down payment. Our son can not be on the mortgage because he had a bankruptcy. They are asking us to give them a paper that $100,000 is a gift to them for the down payment.
How we can make sure that we will get our money back in case they will split up? If they will be together, then our son will pay us back the loan and his girlfriend will pay approximately the same amount into the mortgage and then they will start paying mortgage together.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If you sign something stating that you are giving them a gift, they have zero legal obligation to repay you. Gifts are forever and cannot be revoked. Only a loan needs to be repaid. When you loan someone money to buy a house, you can have them sign a piece of paper giving you a lien on the house, which you would then record - that stops them from selling the house, and gives you the right to sue if payments are missed. You would also be able to stipulate that if they break up, the loan becomes due and payable in full within, say, 90 days (to give them time to find a buyer) or some other amount of time you're comfortable with. That's the way for you to protect your investment. But if you want to be able to put a lien on the house, the girlfriend has to sign the paperwork. If only your son signs it, only he has to repay you.

Also, if the girlfriend is the only one on the mortgage, she's probably also the only one on the deed. And that means your son has NO protection if they break up. His girlfriend will be able to ask him to move out by giving him 30 days notice and she doesn't have to give him back any of the money he paid in. So it's in his best interests for the two of them to see a local attorney and have that person write up a contract that will protect him in the event that they split up.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.