Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I bought two puppies and I gave one to a woman who told me

Customer Question

I bought two puppies and I gave one to a woman who told me she had kids and family who trained dogs. I gave him to her for free thinking she knew better how to potty train him, had more to offer because of the kids, and would LOVE him in a better way possibly. I bought two puppies the same day because I thought it's best to have a friend when your going into a new environment. I tried to keep in contact unsuccessfully due to her lack of response and didn't assume I had any rights more than her last text that he was doing good. Saturday night 1-16-16 I heard otherwise and was restless because there was a message that my dog was at a shelter! I couldn't sleep thinking harm could have come his way, and I was ready to go get him back thinking I have a chance to make it right and never look back unless charges needed filed for abuse. The person who answered the phone said she wasn't going to give him back to me unless I could prove that I was the rightful owner. Then she asked for my email and me to sign an ownership transfer. I didn't. I told her I would like her location so I could come get him. And that I would have proof of purchase and whatever papers I needed to show. That's when she said that's not happening. That I gave him to someone who neglected him(I had no idea that's what I was doing) and accused me of never following up on "Brownie " My Dog. I told her she was making assumptions. Then she said her lawyer will handle it from here. Now I need to know how to get Brownie back.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I think if you are willing to do the ownership transfer they may be willing to work with you. Alternatively, you could threaten to report the owner you gave her to to the humane society or any applicable government agency so that she can facilitate the return. A more expensive route would be filing a breach of contract claim but it would be tougher to prove that this was a contract not a gift.

Thanks for signing up for our service. If you still need assistance, I'm here to help. If not, could you kindly "accept" the answer and rate it so that I can be credited and can close it out?