My daughter was shopping with 2 girls that were caught shop…

Customer Question
My daughter was shopping...

My daughter was shopping with 2 girls that were caught shop lifting in Alabama. My daughter was found at that time by security to be not involved with the stealing. however, all 3 were taken to the police station where I picked her up and the cop said she was free to go. The other 2 girls were charged and went to court, paid a fine and have to complete community service. The one mother has told a lot of my daughter's friends mother that she is a thief and the "mastermind" behind it all. It is affecting her self esteem and relationship with her friends. Can I sue the mother for slander or file a cease and desist?

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

She is now 16, this happened this last december when she was 15

Lawyer's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes i am. thank you

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
1/17/2016
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma.

What you are describing, if the other mom is lying about your daughter...and the lies are harming her reputation? That is considered defamation. You can sue her for this defamation (that is, if your daughter is not yet 18, you can sue on her behalf)

And you can also have a local attorney write a cease and desist letter...which may get her to stop this.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

i will have more questions. my husband and i are discussing and I am researching as we speak. thank you

Certainly, let me know any questions you have that relate to this

follow up