I'm trying to determine the difference between a written…

Customer Question
***** *****...

***** ***** I'm trying to determine the difference between a written "agreement" and a written "proposal".

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Oh boy. It's complicated. Basically I had a written agreeement with some folks who were going to rent my property from May 21, 2015 to December 31, 2015. The have given me a proposal to stay on my property from now until the end of April. They just gave me 90 days notice. However, I never agreed to this extension and they have no written rent or lease agreement. Can I move them out?

Lawyer's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
1/16/2016
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Good afternoon. A written agreement, is exactly that. An agreement by the parties, with the terms and conditions stated within and it is signed and executed by the parties, to evidence that they both agree. A written proposal is merely an offer. It is an intent to enter into an agreement and does not become binding until accepted and signed. If you had an agreement with them and it expired on December 31,2015, then it would be over. If they stayed thereafter, then it would be a month to month lease agreement. If you never accepted the proposal to allow them to stay until the end of April, they would be considered month to month tenants. As such, they likely do not need to give you a 90 day notice since you never agreed and unless they can show you accepted this proposal, you could ask them to vacate sooner, depending on the State where the property is located in.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!