How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116743
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I want to make art and sell it, and I'm including just a

Customer Question

If I want to make art and sell it, and I'm including just a few bars of sheet music in the art, and the music is copyrighted, must I pay a royalty. Say, just 10 bars of music.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you are incorporating a copyrighted work into your new work, it is called derivative use. This means you need to have written consent of the owner of the copyright to do so (even if it is a few bars) to use that copyrighted work in your work. See:
So you have to contact the owner of the sheet music to get permission to make derivative use of their work in your art in writing.

Related Legal Questions