Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What do you charge answer? I 't have any money, just a

Customer Question
Customer: What do you charge...
Customer: What do you charge for an answer? I don't have any money, just a question.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My wife was convicted of embezellment from a company with a government contract. The money was supposedly stolen from money designated for the federal military contract. She did 6 months in prison and several years probation which has ended, and she was ordered to repay the money, about $150,000.00. We paid $50/ month for 3-4 years but could not pay anymore. We haven't paid in 4-5 years, no further contact has been made from the government regarding this. Is there a statute of limitations on this?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How long are you talking about waiting?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
I should add that my wife was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and has no idea what she did with the money. It has never been found. The prosecutors did extensive searches and they could find no trace of it either. In short, she may have taken the money but no one has any idea where it is...we certainly didn't get it.
1/14/2016
Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Technically there is NO statute of limitations on the recovery of Court Ordered Restitution under the criminal codes. If they have not chased her in four years they likely will not unless she has a significant windfall (ins the lottery). However, the debt is hers, not yours. and it is not marital debt. So property held in your name cannot be seized or encumbered.

I am sorry to hear about your wife's medical condition. I am aware of how difficult it is to treat bi-polar disorder. It is too bad her defense attorney's were not able to use that more effectively in her defense. It is likely that the prosecution was not willing to work with them without return of the money.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer