How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29971
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have no arizona ID. I'm from California... And lost my

Customer Question

I have no arizona ID. I'm from California... And lost my California ID 6 years ago, while on vacation in Hawaii. I have been living in Arizona for about 10 yrs. My Given name on my birth certificate does not match any name I have gone by, nor does it match my SSC CARD. The name I went by before I was married is different and now that I am married ( and separated ) my legal name is ***** ***** well. My ( ex ) husband is un-cooperative for a legal name change, and, frankly, I can't afford it. I can not afford a lawyer as I am unemployed, now. I need to rejoin the working force, however I need legal documentation that I am actually a person !!! I don't know what to do with no funds to aid a legal dispute, and I no longer reside in California... So I can't go back there for a re- issue, even if that was an option. Please somebody help me, I'm sinking and I'm almost in the street!!! Please Help!!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If you're going by a name that doesn't match any of your ID, then that's something that should be corrected, even if you hadn't lost your ID. But it's a fairly simple process. You do not need your ex-husband's consent to change your name legally. The courts have forms you can fill out asking to waive the fees if you can not afford it. You do not need to pay a lawyer to do a name change for you, nor do you need to notify your ex husband. There are some basic forms available on this website, but call the clerk of the court to see if your county has specific ones you need to use. Also ask them about the fees and how to get a waiver.

If the name you're using is one you took on after marriage, then you can use your marriage license to request an ID, along with your birth certificate and other documents. Or if the name is ***** ***** took on as part of your divorce, call the court where you got divorced and ask them how much it will cost to mail you a copy of your divorce decree (usually just a photocopying fee, so not much). You can request marriage records here, and you do not have to live in CA to get them.

The other option is to get new ID using the name on your birth certificate and social security card so you can get a job, then simply use a different name informally until you have the time and the money to get a legal name change. Since you do not have a photo ID, you'll need a third form of ID to prove who you are, which can include your divorce records, a bank card, and other documents. Here is a full list:

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.