How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2156
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wonder whether there is anything I can do on legal side.

Customer Question

I wonder whether there is anything I can do on legal side. My wife 59 years old was diagnosed with Alzheimer's dementia in 2012. I took care of her at home, but 4 months ago had to move her to specialized facility. The cost there is $8605.00 per month and keeps going up each month. I will be out of my savings soon. Wife is too young to qualify for Medicare, Medicaid, etc. I have to spend down my savings to qualify for Medicaid due to low income. I have done lots of research online and talked to doctors to find out what caused my wife to get sick so young. Genetics was ruled out, it does not happen at such age. The only other cause is very stressful life. It makes a lot of sense to me. My wife was born in an undercover KGB informants family in USSR. She was severely abused child by parents and 2 older sisters who demanded that she acts as a guard dog to parents who lived in small town and people knew about their KGB connection. Parents and the two sisters are very vicious, while my wife is timid and quiet and could not be as good guard dog as the sisters. After I married my wife in 1977 and realized what's going on I did everything to move to America and we did in 1981. Parents and sisters followed us and continued to abuse my wife until she got sick in 2012. Now they are not heard from. Parents are dead by now, but I wonder whether I can bring a lawsuit against sisters to help paying for my wife's care since their abuse caused to trigger my wife Alzheimer's onset especially in 2012 due to demands of taking care of aging mother, who died in January of 2013.
If there are any additional info needed, please email to***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry to hear about your wife's condition. Unfortunately, most states' laws do not give rise to a legal action against parents or siblings for being hurtful and causing us emotional problems. If there is physical abuse, you might have a claim, but it would have to be proven. There is also a time limit after each incident when you can bring such claims. The law should provide some sort of recourse for people who are emotionally abused by their families, but presently I am not aware of any. I hate to be the bearer of bad news and admire you for trying think of solutions. You need to see if she qualifies for social security disability or medicaid to help with the care costs.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. We only get credit for answering your question if you accept and provide a rating. If you need further assistance, please let me know.