How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2185
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I traded in a vehicle recently (used) vehicle and I have a

Customer Question

Hello - I traded in a vehicle recently for another (used) vehicle and I have a few questions about my contract and whether or not I may be able to get out of this contract. It is a very unique situation, so I will wait to provide details until I know whether or not someone will answer.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Can you give me some details about what is going on, and I will do my best to assist you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure, thank you for getting back to me so quickly.I purchased a used car in 2013 from a dealership in Philadelphia. On 12/8/15, I went to that same dealership to see what my options were for trading in the vehicle. I ended up trading in the vehicle that same day for a different car.There are a few other things that concern me about the contract that I signed, but there is one core issue. When the salesperson realized that I have an out-of-state driver's license, he ended up issuing me a dealer plate to use temporarily on the vehicle until I am able to get my PA license.I have not been able to get my PA license because the requirements have changed since the last time I had a PA license - I am now required to have a raised-seal birth certificate or a passport in addition to my other identifying documents.I have now been back and forth to the dealer several times to renew this temporary "dealer" registration in order to keep driving that car with a dealer plate.I am still waiting to receive my raised-seal birth certificate from the state of Georgia (their service is mail-only) and I cannot afford to have my passport renewed right now.Since the car is not officially registered to me, do you know whether or not I am able to get out of this contract? I was told by the salesperson that within days, the balance would be paid on the amount that I owed for my old car, and that I would receive a new billing statement for the new car. None of this information has been updated, and now my old car payment is overdue and I am receiving calls from creditors.My job situation has changed such that I no longer even need a vehicle, which I told the salesperson may be a possibility.He told me at my last visit that they have already sold my old car, which it sounds like is still technically in my name.Thank you.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I understand your situation. If it had only been a couple of days it might be feasible but after a month trying to get out of a contract will be very tough. The dealer will argue you are breaching the agreement because it is not their responsibility to ensure you get your deiver's license or if you do not need the car any longer. You cam certainly try but I do not suspect it will go in your favor. Can you try to sell the new car?