How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118292
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I satisfied a judgement .00 in Utah 04/19/04 but the

Customer Question

I satisfied a judgement for 622.00 in Utah 04/19/04 but the judgment was not recorded with the court. I was fined by my regulatory organization FINRA 1,800. for the unsatisfied judgment in 2015. Upon learning of this, I contacted the plaintif in my case and they reported the judgement satisfied 05/15/2015. I am now suing in small claims court for damages. This cost me time away from work, and also possibly the other clients and employment because this mistake was in the computer system for FINRA. How much can I recover in the case ? I hear for each year it could be three to ten times the amount $622.00 plus, research, legal fees, travel expenses, and other damages. Please help me if you have any amounts or suggestions. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can get your actual losses you can prove, plus punitive damages of a minimum of 3 times the amount of your losses. In order to get more than 3 times your losses, you have to prove that the failure to report was willful and malicious. If it is not malicious, the court will limit your damages to treble damages.
You need to actually prove the amount of financial harm you suffered as a result of this, you cannot just say it damaged your career without proof of the monetary amount it damaged your career and how you determine that monetary amount, since damaged reputation is too speculative for the court to actually award damages on.