How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28043
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Iroquois county in Il. how do I make someone move

Customer Question

hi I live in Iroquois county in Il. how do I make someone move out of my house who does not pay any rent or utilities, not that I have asked them to. we are not seeing eye to eye, can I change my locks so they cannot come in my house while I am at work? I don't want any legal problems. thank-you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. If you want them out, you would first need to give them the proper legal notice to vacate. If they remain, you would then need to proceed through the court and have them evicted. You can not use self help to get them out. By that, I mean change the locks, put their stuff outside or do anything which will prevent them from entering. I understand you do not want them coming into the home while you are at work but if they reside there, they have a right to enter. Now, if you were to change the locks, be aware that they could try and sue you.