LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I live in Iroquois county in Il. how do I make someone move

Customer Question

hi I live in Iroquois county in Il. how do I make someone move out of my house who does not pay any rent or utilities, not that I have asked them to. we are not seeing eye to eye, can I change my locks so they cannot come in my house while I am at work? I don't want any legal problems. thank-you
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. If you want them out, you would first need to give them the proper legal notice to vacate. If they remain, you would then need to proceed through the court and have them evicted. You can not use self help to get them out. By that, I mean change the locks, put their stuff outside or do anything which will prevent them from entering. I understand you do not want them coming into the home while you are at work but if they reside there, they have a right to enter. Now, if you were to change the locks, be aware that they could try and sue you.