Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My estranged husband had been arrested and is currently in

Customer Question
jail. We have never...
My estranged husband had been arrested and is currently in jail. We have never had a joint account. Mysteriously, all my banking information was delivered to him as part of his discovery info which included a toxicology report on the drugs he had possessed at the time of his arrest. My Bank Wells Fargo
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
1/11/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

1) What state is this in?

2) Your question was cut off. The last thing I have is " My Bank Wells Fargo..." Can you please re-type what you wanted to ask? My apologies for the inconvenience.

3) The discovery - is this for a criminal case, or civil? Divorce? Something else?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1) Alaska
2) I've received conflicting info from my branch and there legal Dept. Stating they have no subpoena request on file. However the branch mgr stated that Legal told them that they couldn't discuss any specifics with them. my question can I sue. I believe that there IT Dept can FURNISH who and when 2 yrs of my bank statements where printed from. and the bank is covering their ass. His Federal public defender claims she doesn't know where it came from.
3) Criminal Federal charges
3
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My thinking is that they may have thought I had something to do with his illegal actions. However, we where separated and I resided in Florida.

Thank you. To clarify - who asked for the discovery? HE DID?

Or did the prosecutor subpoena the bank account?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He didn't, and his Federal Public Defender claims she didn't, and doesn't know anything about it. However, he said it came from her office. Wells Fargo Legal Dept claims they have no subpoena on file and show no record of it.
Because this is a small town, I'm wondering if it may have been printed locally at a branch. In 2010 during a search warrant, the local troopers must have taken a deposit slip and or bank statement, which showed my account # ***** a deposit for $74,000. The DA questioned it, thinking maybe it had been drug money. However, it was a check from social security, for my disability claim. I furnished them with the check receipt. Again in 2014 they confiscated $5000 from him which was for his bail. Once again they claimed it had to be drug money. Even though it was in a bank envelope not sure if a receipt was with it. In order for them to release the funds back to me. I had to prove to them that I had transferred money from my bank account to my daughters Teen Account. I had to furnish both bank statements(account # ***** out) showing the transfer and a letter of explanation. I guess I failed to mention that my daughters banking information was included along with my personal banking information. Sorry for the lengthy explanation. I'm thinking this was furnished on a local level, and not federal. But who knows, I feel as if I have been violated in the sense of being raped of my privacy.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the $5000 was for his bail.

Thank you.

If he is a signatory on the account, he has a right to get information on his account. So this is likely what has happened, without a subpoena. His attorney likely simply reached out on his behalf. Anyhow, did you get your money back, or not? And is your question on (a) how to get your money back or (b) whether it was wrong that your information was shared?

Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!

Tina, Lawyer