Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My husband and I applied plan N supplement insurance

Customer Question

Good morning. My husband and I applied for medicare plan N supplement insurance coverage with Select Quote Senior Dec 6, 2015. We were told by the insurance broker Dawn Maltsbargher that the Humana plan would be best for us. We signed up and were also told by Ms Maltsbarger that our coverage would begin 1/1/2016. By 12/28/15 we still had received nothing from Humana except a letter stating that our applications had been received. We called the Select Quote Senior agent, explaining that we had several significant medical appointments scheduled for 1/4 and 1/5/16 and still had no ID info to give to providers. Thus began a cycle of fruitless hours of calls between ourselves, Select Quote Senior agents and Humana. Today we finally got through to a Humana supervisor named Roger who stated the agent made a mistake on section 2 of the paperwork and they were still waiting for correction. Agent from Select Quote stated that they had sent corrected info 4 times. We are truly stuck between a rock and a hard place. To date I have had to cancel an IV infusion, a rheumatology appt, and labs to monitor bone marrow suppression. I cannot keep opthalmology appts to monitor possible corneal transplant rejection. My husband has had to cancel his appt for carpal tunnel surgery eval. Our cardiology appts cannot be scheduled because we cannot give new insurance info to providers. We attempted to file a grievance with Medicare.gov but found only available formats are for folks who have been rejected for treatments, etc and guess what? One needs an ID NUMBER to file the grievance in the first place. This could be a really noir Saturday Night Live skit. We don't know where else to turn. Are you able to help us? Thanks very much.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help.

You may be able to pick another Plan N carrier here.I would pick another agent and try again.Since they rejected application and agent apparently cannot get it corrected think about a different carrier and agent.

Here is a comprehensive list of Plan N for NY..

http://www.dfs.ny.gov/consumer/medplan/medplann.htm

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

My personal recommendation is United.It is on the list above and also on US News ratings of carriers.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/health-insurance/articles/2013/12/16/top-health-insurance-companies

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

These guys are associated with AARP which again I have found them overall to be very responsive..

UnitedHealthCare Insurance Company of New York
AARP Health Care Options
P.O. Box 1017
Montgomeryville, Pennsylvania 18936
1-***-***-****
web site address: www.aarphealthcare.com

I would consider trying new provider here and contacting them.I think your agent for whatever reason is unable to get you enrolled and am trying to offer you an alternative here. This may be the fastest way to get you covered.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and the best to you here.