How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4829
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am disabled,I have question complained about my care and

Customer Question

I am disabled,I have question complained about my care and treatment and my pain . I was always asking if maybe one thing could of had to do with another and more so with my children on one occasion I demanded to know the results of my minor daughter whom had just be returned home,she had run away . I felt it necessary to to seek medical treatment and took her in the Doctor wouldn't tell me her symptoms so I called an attorney while there in clinic and threaten to have him sued . I was taken to s private room and a short time later he told me my daughters results but was angry. I went home but upon my next visit I was being treated differently the doctors wanted to stop mess for one reason then another and it was obvious that I was not want there any longer. I spoke to my doctor and all she would say is she could treat me but her hands were tied. I could tell her anything. But I was told do to being difficult to treat that I was having services terminated and I had a month to find a new care provider. I was in the middle of my fight with social security for disability. And to start from scratch else where was going to be hard . I became depressed and change doctors but it was short lived my aniexty and distrust is overwhelming so I stop everything . My pain mood swings and Suicide attempts have affected my entire family . I live in pain Ihave attempted Suisse twice since then. Can my doctor and clinic do this what about my rights
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do they have the right to terminate treating me .
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

To answer your question directly, yes, your doctor can decide to not treat you anymore. A doctor has the right to not see a patient any longer if they don't want to for really any reason (except for racial reasons). To have a cause of action for discrimination, you must first be a member of a protected class (for example, a person's race is a protected class, meaning you can't be refused a good or service because of your race). In this case, it sounds like the doctor, for whatever reason, thinks you are a difficult patient and no longer wants to do business with you. In a free market system, like we have, doctors can do that.

From the court's perspective, you are still capable of finding a new doctor at any time. So long as your doctor didn't commit some kind of malpractice, I just don't see a viable lawsuit here.
I'm sorry for the bad news, but I have to give an honest assessment of your situation and legal rights. My suggestion is that you find a new doctor as soon as possible.