How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118635
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm native American full blooded father was Onondaga chief.

Customer Question

I'm native American full blooded father was Onondaga chief . Mom was from
Ontario. Oneida . Now I am not by oneida native law not American . There for not eligible for oneida benifitts American benifitts . As Canada claims . I reside on rez where there for I don't have any rights . My family is about 50 strong and growing. . Is there any legal route to be granted own reservation. Or allowed on American rolls . I Worked In USA Since 18 NOW 45
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Have you applied for benefits through the Onondaga? Also, you would need to contact the US Department of Interior Bureau of Indian Affairs for any other government assistance you would need with benefits. Unfortunately, other than the BIA, your appeal and your right to any American benefits would be through the tribal counsel of each tribe, as they have to be the one to recognize you as a member of the tribe and until they do, you would not get benefits from that tribe. However, just because the Oneida deny you does not mean you could not qualify under Onondaga tribal law.