How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RONB-ESQ Your Own Question
RONB-ESQ, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 357
Experience:  Right of Way Manager at Access Midstream Partners, LP
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RONB-ESQ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The issue is regarding a Motion to Revive a Judgement in

Customer Question

Customer: The issue is regarding a Motion to Revive a Judgement in Ohio. A default judgement was issued on April 22, 2003. The creditor has asked the court to revive the judgement and I'm just wondering how I can resolve this without the courts reviving the judgement?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: On April 22, 2003, a default judgement was entered against me in an Ohio Court in the amount of $1,664.10 plus interest at 10% per year and plus Plantiff's cost. This was for the failure to pay a credit card debt. On 12/31/2015, the creditor filed a motion to revive the judgment and I just want to know how I can resolve this issue.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I welcome you to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. The question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Also in the event you are new to JA, I only receive a portion of what you pay to JA when you provide positive feedback and click the submit button on the upper right corner of your page. If I have provided you a timely response and answered your question please give me the courtesy of a positive rating before you log off the site, as many people forget to log back in and leave feedback. There is no additional charge for continuing to reply after you have rated me and we can continue a back and forth discussion until the question you posed has been fully answered

You should see my answer in the same pane below this response as we continue. In the event you would prefer a phone call please let me know and I can arrange it. It tends to be easier for both parties if you just tell me you want a phone call and let me send you the request versus using JA’s automated “request a call” feature. If you see a pop up regarding a phone call, please note that the website generated that offer. Before I send you any such request it will typically be based on you requesting it by typing the request on the screen and then I will send you a phone call offer (additional $52 typically). Do note that a phone call is not required and we can continue here just typing comments back and forth.

Do not be concerned with short delays in my response to you. When I am online I generally respond in a few minutes, unless I am on a call with another customer. When I am offline I generally respond in less than 24 hours. If I begin to answer your question late in the evening (after 9:00 PM CST) I will generally provide you a quick comment as to the fact that I am signing off for the night. I am generally online most days 1:00PM-10:00PM CST.

You should be able to view my answer just below this response as we continue…. I type kind of slow so I may do some quick research and then be typing your answer it may be 5-10 depending on your question. You can respond at any time.

Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

Typically in Ohio the statute of limitations for a judgment is 10 years. That 10 years starts once the judgment becomes dormant. If a writ of execution or some other legal means was used to try and enforce the judgment like a garanishment or levy against a bank account within the last 10 years and then after that no other action was taken then the judgment became dormant after the issuance of any such writ against your bank or a garnishment action. If the judgment became dormant within 10 years then the only option the judgment creditor has to keep it alive is to file a motion with the Court to revive it.

This is not something you can typically challenge legally unless the judgment is shown to have been dormant more than 10 years and then you could file some response objecting to the judgment creditors motion due to the statute of limitations. It would be helpful for you to search the Court's records on this case and confirm that the Judgment creditor sought some action to enforce within the last 10 years. If they did not then you should object. If they did seek any legal post judgment remedy within the last 10 years then they have the legal right to revive the judgement.

If you find that they do have the right to revive it then you may want to contact them and seek to pay some amount like 40-50% as a lump sum offer and see if they will accept that and in exchange file a release of judgment and provide you a copy to prove to anyone checking your credit that the judgment has been satisfied.,

Does that answer your question? If so thank you in advance for providing me positive feedback as that is the only way I am credited for answering your question. If you don't leave feedback I receive nothing and the website just retains your total payment. Do note that after leaving positive feedback you are welcome to reply here with as many follow up questions as are needed to answer the question you posted for free.