How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31787
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend went through divorce almost two years ago. The

Customer Question

My boyfriend went through divorce almost two years ago. The ex was awarded maintenance one the amount of $600 monthly for 5 years. This was awarded strictly to pay her car payment. She has kept it two months behind to avoid repossession and is keeping the money to spend on other things. This is affecting his credit badly as both his and her name is ***** ***** loan. They do not have children nor do they share property. Can anything be done to terminate the maintenance?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If the support order was specific to make the car payment, and this is spelled out in the court documents, and she's not paying as she's supposed to, which in turn is harming his credit, then he can file a motion to modify or terminate the support order and ask the judge to terminate the support OR require his ex to refinance the car in her name alone in order to stop this from harming his credit.