Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My ex fiance were living together and planning to get

Customer Question
married so I was trying...
my ex fiance were living together and planning to get married so I was trying to clean up his credit... He had purchased some toys so in attempt to try and reduce the interest rate he took out a personal secured loan against my car to reduce the interest rate. His name is ***** ***** name on the loan but my name is ***** ***** the title and registration. Now that we have split the bank wants me to perfect the lien; however, I don't want to give him ownership to my car (which I had paid off- it's technically his debt). I think he stopped making payments- what can I do so the bank doesn't try and repo my car?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/8/2016
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Loren, Attorney

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Loren, if you prefer please feel free to call me at(###) ###-####

Was there an agreement that your ex would make the payments? Has the bank given any indication that they are planning to repossess the car?

If you wish a phone call you would need to accept the additional service offer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is the personal secured loan not considered an agreement? The bank will not release any information to me since the loan is only in his name.

An agreement between you and him?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
verbally, yes... so he has the collateral that the personal secured loan was used to purchase, and I think is now trying to just stop paying on the loan. I may have some text messages/emails saved.

The problem is that you can not stop the bank from taking action if your ex defaults on a loan for which you put up your car as collateral. What you would need to do is either let them repossess it and then sue him for the value of your car, or make the payments and sue him for reimbursement.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they can still repo it when only my name is ***** ***** title and registration and only his name is ***** ***** loan?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
from what i've been told at least one name on the loan has to be on the title...

Did you consent to the car being collateral to the loan? You would have to have signed something.

Are you still online with me?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
orginally, yes- the loan was put in both of our names and then was switched to just his.

Was the car released as collateral? Did you receive a release?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
release as in the title? if so, yes. I have the title.

Was the bank removed as a lienholder?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they are still listed as the lien holder per the DMV but when I spoke to them they were questioning how that was... they told me to look at the date or something on the title, which I've been meaning to just take in to show them, but haven't had a chance. Any idea what they are referring to?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the date on the title shows 12/13/14...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
also, what happens if he files bankruptcy?

If they will release the lien then you have no further risk of repossession. So, ask them for a release.

If he files for bankruptcy then the bank can not repossess your car during the bankruptcy proceeding, but it will not release the car as collateral.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sounds easier said then done... I cant imagine the bank willing to do that. So I guess back to my original question... if he stops making payments can the bank legally repo my car if my name is ***** ***** title and registration and his name is ***** ***** one on the loan?

Yes, if you signed off on an agreement to place the car as collateral then it can be repossessed if the loan goes into default.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
technically everything was "e-signed"...so my best option is to just let the payments/loan run it's course and if he defaults try to sue him for reimbursement?

Unless you want to keep the car from being repossessed. Then you will need to pay or get him to pay.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
once the car is paid in full would I still control ownership?

Yes.

Did you have futther questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.

Loren, Attorney