LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I leased a home four and a half years ago. My husband was 78

Customer Question

I leased a home four and a half years ago. My husband was 78 when we moved in and capable of walking, though he had one prosthetic leg. Four years later, at 82 years of age, he's a double amputee, diabetic, scheduled for a second surgery for an abdominal aeorta aneurism. He is in a hospital bed at home, uses a wheel chair with aid.
Our management company wishes to show the home while we are occupants, during the 30 day vacating period. It is stated in the lease that we will allow this. Is there a law protecting handicaped or extremely fragile residents from complying.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Can you share with me what your question is? I am sorry to hear about the condition of your husband but need to know what I can answer for you

Hi, are you still there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to protect my husband from the management company bring potential renters into our home, during the 30 day period prior to move-out, due to his condition making it impossible for him to leave the house without being carried out.
The lease states that we allow them to show the home. My husband's condition has greatly changed since the lease was signed.

Thank you for the additional information. The management does have a right and need to show the home, prior to you vacating. The reason for this, is so that there is no gap in time that it remains vacant, whereby they are losing the rental income. However, you should advise them of his medical condition and ask that they take as many steps as possible, to accommodate the situation. By that, I mean ask them to provide you extra notice prior to entering, in case he is not in a comfortable position and needs attention and that the showing be schedule if possible, during hours when he is not resting and is awake, so he will not be disturbed. You can not prevent them from entering if they provide reasonable notice and while he can not leave, he does have a right to be present as well.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!