How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2156
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I borrowed a large sum of money (75,000.00) to my nephew. He

Customer Question

Customer: I borrowed a large sum of money (75,000.00) to my nephew. He signed a promissory note which was notarized. Nephew was to make payments every month. As of the date he over a year and a half behind. Every thing he owns is mortgaged. He does have his own business. How can I get my money out of him?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The credit card checks I wrote him were to be a business loan. But the promissory note was just signed by him. I had to mortgage my home to keep the credit card people away. I recently sold my home and paid the mortgage off, now I am out the money.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear that and it is often difficult when these issues involve family. You will need to file a lawsuit for breach of contract in order to get a judgement against him. Once you have a judgement you have some remedies such as liens or wage garnishment on his business income.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

If you do not need further assistance, please accept and rate the service so that it can be closed out.