LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I have a non secured loan with Republic finance. It has been

Customer Question

I have a non secured loan with Republic finance. It has been written off for over two years. They have a lawyer that has subpoena me to court several times. Each court date we meet and she ask how much I can pay each month. I don`t even get to talk to a Judge however they ask you name and you answer that you are there. My source of income is social security $ 942.00 per month That is the only income I receive. Question does this lawyer have the right to continue to subpoena me to court and how if possible can I stop her? I do not have the extra money to keep making these payments of $ 60.00 each month.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The reality is that the attorney can continue to subpoena you to inquire about the income you earn. The law allows the attorney to call you to the court periodically to do a debtor's exam. However, you probably can stop paying altogether if you have not real assets and only receive social security as income.

The creditor cannot garnish your social security benefits. Just make sure that the only money that you have going into the bank account that your social security payment goes into is your social security benefit and the bank account is protected from levy as well.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug