Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Can you sue a company you with false or misleading

Customer Question

Customer: Doug ***** ***** Can you sue a company for providing you with false or misleading information over the phone?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am in a dispute with Stubhub regarding tickets sold on their website. They claim that the tickets I sold were invalid. however, I confirmed their validity with the director of ticket operations for the event. She was also in direct contact with Stubhub and confirmed the same. However, the person at Stubhub provided me with false information regarding their conversation. I have written confirmation from the director of ticket operations that the statements made by Stubhub to me were false
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can sue the company if they do not reimburse you for the loss they caused you to incur based on the false information. If they provided false information and you lost money because of their false information, then you would indeed be able to sue them for that loss. If there was no loss suffered and they simply claimed they were invalid tickets, but you were able to recover your money, then you would not have actual damages to sue them for.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are denying me payment for the tickets even though I provided evidence of their validity. I am appealing the decision through arbitration, but I was also wondering if I could sue them for lying to me
Thank you for your reply.
No, you cannot sue just for lying. If you are in arbitration, that is where you would get your damages for the tickets upon proving they were valid ticket.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more question. In addition to requesting payment, I would also like to request reimbursement for time spent gathering all necessary evidence to refute the denial, legal fees, and charging them interest on the balance owed to me. Is this something I can include in my "Notice of Dispute"? If so, how should I value my time and determine an interest %?
Thank you for your reply.
You can only get legal fees if you have an attorney and if the contract provides you can get legal fees for their breach. You can seek reasonable damages for your costs incurred in gathering documents, but you would need to show your reasonable hourly rate for your time (what you earn at work or what you would reasonably earn) Interest would be the judicial interest rate in your state.