Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Is there a legal action i can take to stop my son from

Customer Question
is there a legal...
is there a legal action i can take to stop my son from living with his grandfather, which isn't related biologtically
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/6/2016
Lawyer: Sam, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Sam, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Can you give me a little more detail, please?

How old is your son?
Why don't you want him living with the Grandfather?

He is 15 and grandfather has no supervision whatsoever
he isn't related but only by marriage to my mother and she is now dead

Thank you.

our son needs to follow your rules until he is age 18.

I suggest you can file a Statement of Charges at the county court house via the court Commissioner or magistrate.

The Florida law says:

985.731 Sheltering unmarried minors; aiding unmarried minor runaways; violations.—

(1)(a) A person who is not an authorized agent of the department or the Department of Children and Families may not knowingly shelter an unmarried minor for more than 24 hours without the consent of the minor’s parent or guardian or without notifying a law enforcement officer of the minor’s name and the fact that the minor is being provided shelter.

(b) A person may not knowingly provide aid to an unmarried minor who has run away from home without first contacting the minor’s parent or guardian or notifying a law enforcement officer. The aid prohibited under this paragraph includes assisting the minor in obtaining shelter, such as hotel lodgings.

(2) A person who violates this section commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

I suggest the "grandfather" is breaking the law.

And if the police will not assist, then you can go to the courthouse in your county and ask to file a criminal Statement of Charges against the man.

You also can contact the Dept of Children and Families and ask them to get involved if the "grandfather" is harming the boy or if you feel your son is in harm's way being with him.

thank you very much for your help

You're welcome. Good luck and let me know if you have other questions here. Otherwise, thanking you in advance for a positive rating at this time.

i'm sorry but I have one last question.

Ok. Why was your son living there with your Mother? Did she have guardianship? Or did you give permission?

There is no need to open another thread and we should just continue here.

I'm not understanding

You asked would it matter if your son lived at that address with your Mother, correct?

Why was your son living there with your Mother? Did she have guardianship? Or did you give permission?

but she's been dead for three years
he lived there with her having a power of attorney and I got him back after she passed away and he recently just ran away and moved in with Grandpa without permission

Thank you.

IN that case, I suggest with you having the custody, the Grandfather is committing a crime. Now, whether a court will order him home to you is anyone's guess. I cannot be definitive on that. You would need to show that he is doing poorly in the environment and/or will be placed in "harm's way" because of abuse or neglect.

Sam, Attorney at Law